Saturday, December 26, 2015

High seas on Milwaukee's lakefront today: photo essay


This is not an everyday occurrence! I was on my way to meet up with some friends and happened to choose a route along the lakefront. Would have missed the incredible surf if I hadn't. Urban Wilderness in one of its wildest manifestations.


The breakwater was definitely an unsafe place to be today.


Some of the swells crested right over the top. Most crashed spectacularly against it, as you can see.


The children have the right idea here, Mom, as a wave crashes behind them, obliterating the breakwater. Mom got drenched. I hope the video was worth it.


The unusually severe conditions were caused by gusty winds out of the ENE ahead of what's being billed (mostly likely hyperbolized) as a "winter storm goliath." Don't take my word for it. None other than the Weather Channel has the story.


I didn't believe my eyes when I first caught a glimpse of this guy far off, parasailing out in front of Bradford Beach. Crazy. I did see him make it back safely to the beach, though.


View from North Point towards downtown, with the Allen Bradley clock tower faintly visible in the dim light.


The waves roll in towards shore, eerily echoing the shape of the Hoan Bridge in the distance. I shot a couple videos on my new iPhone but uploading them to blogspot took too long. I posted one of them to my Facebook page if you're interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment