Friday, March 11, 2016

Forest Park, St. Louis: more urban than wilderness, but lovely

I stopped in St. Louis on my way to a conference in Houston. Spent the afternoon in Forest Park. Weighing in at over 1300 acres, it's larger than New York's Central Park, with which it has more than a passing resemblance. Like Central Park, it contains a zoo and the city's premier art museum. Also two golf courses--currently rather worse for wear due to dry conditions. I'm guessing they don't water much. First time I've seen golfers on brown fairways.


I did manage to find a couple wildish areas to wander about in. A photo essay:





Cypress "knees"
Birch grove reflected in St. Louis Art Museum windows
Trailhead, JFK Memorial Forest (seriously)



2 comments:

  1. It is, as you write, in front of our eyes. We only have to open them. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, too, for the affirmation.

    ReplyDelete