Monday, June 14, 2010

Moby Dick sheds light on Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf

I just love the way they write in the New York Times! And the way they think. The piece in last Sunday's Week in Review relates the Deepwater Horizon disaster with Herman Melville's classis tale of hubris and the dying industry of whale oil extraction. It's an environmental story and, for me, it is another example of how "arts without borders" could be renamed "life without borders. "

The story in the Times ends without a moralistic conclusion. I guess a good journalist is trained to do that. But I for one admit my guilt. I drove today, and yesterday, . . . and I will drive tomorrow. We will not end the destruction of which the current catastrophe in the gulf is but one manifestation until we acknowledge that we are all responsible. And do better.

Check it out. Click on 'The Ahab Parallax.'

No comments:

Post a Comment