Wednesday, December 19, 2012

First snow


To commemorate the season’s first snow, late as it is, I have a short photo essay shot yesterday, mostly while it was coming down around me. Lovely.

Not feeling particularly insightful today, I humbly offer a selection of haiku that I’ve written over the years on the themes of snow and winter. To me haiku is less about writing and more akin to a spiritual practice. There was a time when I wrote one a day, but I’ve lapsed lately.

Enjoy the snow!

Honey Creek Parkway, West Allis

leaving the road
my footprints
in unbroken snow

Honey Creek Parkway, West Allis

stopping in snowy woods
the stranger suddenly smiles
her dog licks my hand

Menomonee River at Hart Park, Wawatosa

morning mist
off the river
my breath rising

Hoyt Park, Wauwatosa

pulling off snowy boots
near the fire
my tingling toes

Menomonee River at Hart Park, Wauwatosa

on the verge of sleep
snowplow scraping, beeping
scraping, beeping

Honey Creek Parkway, West Allis

in the midst of blowing snow
a purple balloon
                           bouncing

Honey Creek Parkway, West Allis



No comments:

Post a Comment