Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011: A year in the Urban Wilderness


Following the time-honored year-end tradition, I offer my personal selections of the best of the Urban Wilderness from the past year. These are the stories of my explorations from month to month. Some are from far-away places, but among my favorites are many from right here in the Milwaukee area, as usual! We have much to be grateful for.


February – Reconsidering Aldo Leopold, from the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Park.









September – Wonderland: Urban parks stimulate more than the imagination, from the Menomonee River.


November – Ecopsychology among the kettles and moraines, near Eagle, WI.


December – Milwaukee’s “Thin Places,” a meditation on the parkway system.

The stories include images, as you have come to expect, and I hope you enjoy them all. It is hard to choose one best, but if I had to today I would pick this one from the KK River. It symbolizes the challenges that exist and the hope that I have for urban wilderness, wherever it is found.
 

 Thank you for following the Urban Wilderness – I hope to see you out there in 2012. Have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment